Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.

Author: Adrian Bool
To: Chris Knipe
CC: Nigel Metheringham, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Chris Knipe wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Another way which I actually thought about that might also be good to take
> load of mail servers...
>

> IN MX 10 mail.somedomain.com
>
> mail   A  x.x.x.x
>        A  x.x.x.x
>        A  x.x.x.x

> etc etc etc ? This is allowed in DNS, that I am sure about, but will it be
> accepted as far as MX records go?

Yes, that works - we do that - however it's not optimal as taking a server
out of action is messy. If all your boxes are in the same place I'd be
tempted to go for a load balancing switch... (And will probably convert
our boxes to such a setup soon..)

I guess if you want site resiliance you could put two A recored in for
your mail server pointing to two distance load balancing switches...

Regards,

aid

--
Adrian J Bool            | http://www.noc.u-net.net/
Network Manager            | tel://44.1925.484061/