Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Kai Henningsen
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Performance bottleneck scanning large spools.
On 10 Jan 2000, Kai Henningsen wrote:

> That's still true in my proposal. That's why it regenerates on loss of
> file, and after a certain time.

But certain time might have to be quite short.

> > I'm not an
> > expert on discs and their operation, but maybe the best solution (while
> > retaining Exim) is somehow to speed up the directory scanning, if that
> > is possible.
>
> Uh, that's exactly what the caching proposals try to do.

Sorry, I meant by means external to Exim such as disc systems that cache
more things in memory (and tweaks to parameters as suggested by another
poster).

> Here's another idea. Would it be possible/useful to create a queue runner
> mode in which the queue runner does _not_ read the whole spool, but just a
> reasonable part of it?

That is an interesting idea. I'm not sure how one could implement it for
a non-split spool, though.

> Oh, and I suspect for really large queues, you'll want to split into more
> subdirectories.

I'm afraid my reaction to that is: Aarrgghh!! :-)