[Exim] Re: SMTP timeouts when delivering to smart host with …

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Marc Haber
A: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] Re: SMTP timeouts when delivering to smart host with exim 3.02
On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 20:05:32 +0200, you wrote:
>Quoth Marc Haber on Mon, Nov 08, 1999:
>> ISP says his smart host and the line are both fine, I say my exim is
>> fine. Any ideas who might be at fault here?
>
>0. What Exim version?

See subject. 3.02.

>1. Try to run 'exim -d9 -M 11jiRS-00059l-00' (substitute correct
> local message ID) and see what you get.

That starts a delivery attempt for that message? Since some messages
get through fine, I bet that it will work that time.

Is there a possibility to have exim log the debug information to the
log file? That site is not generating tremendously high amounts of
e-mail and I can live with 10 MB log file per day.

>2. Try to send mail via other SMTP servers (say, directly to the
> recipient's MX) and see what happens.

I'd have to reconfigure the firewall rules to do so, needing
management's approval. This is something I'd like to postpone as far
as possible.

>3. Try to talk SMTP directly (i.e., using telnet(1)) with the
> smarthost. Several times. If you do really get timeout or no
> reply or "250-OK" (instead of "250 OK") on last response line
> or no CR/LF or whatever, this is a problem with the smarthost.

Works fine.

>4. Try to send mail from outside to the smarthost. If you give
> me the smarthost's hostname and e-mail address I could test, I
> can do it for you.

That machine is also MX for the site's domain, handling all incoming
mail. Incoming mail is not affected by the problem.

>5. Instead of all this, you can just give me shell account and
> e-mail hosting on that box, and I will fix it for you ;)

Management could kill me for even trying to do so ;-)

>> Incoming mail (which is delivered
>> by SMTP from the same smarthost I am unsuccessfully trying to deliver
>> my outgoing mail) isn't affected either.
>
>Do you see delays between "Received:" headers on incoming mail?

Nope. Delivery happens in seconds.

Greetings
Marc