Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim ov…

Author: Steve Haslam
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim over Qmai l?]
On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 09:42:11AM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Ben Smithurst wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I don't think I'll have any problems at all with the config file
> > being zero length now. I've modified Exim to get a shared lock on the
> > config file before reading it (which is probably quite expensive but I
>
> Surely you don't need to go to that extreme. It should be safe to edit
> the config file to a new file, and then rename it. Renaming is an atomic
> operation.

I do that, and I've not had any trouble. I actually change several config
files at ppp-up time, in order to reconfigure DNS, Web proxy and exim- I've
got a Perl script that allows me to have things like this in text config
files:

# [from exim]
#DYNAMIC<!demon>
queue_remote=true

And in ppp-up, I run the changeconfig script, telling it to change my config
to "demon", which will comment out the queue_remote option. Then at ppp-down
it changes the config to "basic", so it puts it back in again.

Similar changes to /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/named.conf and
/etc/junkbuster/forwardfile mean that my net configs easily adjust according
to which provider I'm connected to. Well, I like it, and I'm happy to share
the Perl script if anyone else is interested.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam, Validation Engineer, ARM Ltd, Cambridge UK     +44-1223-400677
steve.haslam@???       steve@???        araqnid@???