Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim ov…

Author: Jim Knoble
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim over Qmai l?]
queue_remote can work quite fine; you don't always have to queue all
remote mail. With exim-3.0x, set queue_remote_domains to the domains
you want to queue. For example, my home net is in domain `earth', net
10.0.15.0/24. I've got:

    queue_remote_domains = !*.earth : *

That delivers mail in my home net immediately, but queues any other
outgoing mail. I have an exim daemon running all the time (exim -bd).
When i'm dialed up, i also have a queuerunner (exim -q10). It works
fine.

Under exim-2.1x, i achieved the same effect by doing:

    queue_remote = true
    queue_remote_except = *.earth

Is there something you're doing with hold_domains that i'm not
understanding?

Note also that with exim-3.0x, you can specify plain files (not lsearch
tables) as part of a host list, e.g.:

    queue_remote_domains = ! /etc/exim/my-close-neighbors

where /etc/exim/my-close-neighbors contains:

    *.my.local.domain
    *.my.other.local.domain
    192.168.0.0/24

You could also achieve the same effect with hold_domains, and rewrite
only the file with the domains listed in it instead of the entire
config. If you get really concerned about changing things in the
middle, you could turn the file into a CDB lookup table and use a
partial lookup. CDBs do atomic updates.

--jim

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% jim knoble %%%%%%%% jmknoble@??? %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

På 1999-Jun-08 klokka 06:07:07 +0100 skrivet Ben Smithurst:

: Well, no good for me, since queue_remote is no good for me. But I imagine
: it would be useful for some people..
:
: Anyway, I don't think I'll have any problems at all with the config file
: being zero length now. I've modified Exim to get a shared lock on the
: config file before reading it (which is probably quite expensive but I
: can live with it), and the program which updates it gets an exclusive
: lock, so there shouldn't be any conflicts, if I've understood everything
: right. (Seems to be working anyway.)