Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim ov…

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim for dialup use [was Why should I use Exim over Qmai l?]
Ben Smithurst <ben@???> probably said:
> Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> >> Set queue_smtp, so exim does the routing.
> >
> > This means that even when you are online and send mail from your
> > local machine, the mail is not delivered immediately. Or am I
> > wrong?
>
> I think I mentioned this before, what I do is have a script
> automatically edit the configuration file when I go on/off-line. (It
> basically just (un)comments the hold_domains line. (I use hold_domains
> rather than queue_remote so that mail for local machines is delivered
> immediately.)) There could be a problem when the configuration file is
> zero length, between ed(1) doing the open() with O_TRUNC and the write()
> (it only does one big write), but it hasn't given me any problems
> yet. I'll have to look for a way to fix that. Hmm...

Speaking of the whole dialup thing, one of the things Philip added to
make diong dialup interface up/down changes easier was queue_only_file,
which makes (for queue_only or remote or smtp) changes easy without
having to alter the config file (which was the problem I hit the last
time I was messign with dialup mail).

Hadn't seen mention of it, and did see several mentions of messily
changing config files, so thought I'd remind people of its existance.

P.

--
pir               pir@???      pir@???      pir@???