Re: [EXIM] Preventing mail spool from filling up

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Nick O'Brien
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Preventing mail spool from filling up
On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Nick O'Brien wrote:

> Unforunately setting max_message_size and mailbox quotas are going to
> very political.

Just let it delay your senior management's mail for a day or two. Then
the politics should be easy. I think most Universities set a max message
size. We certainly do: 2MB to 10MB on various systems. Our biggest mail
server also has mailbox quotas.

> Is there a way we can configure Exim so that if free
> space on /var/mail drops below a certain level, Exim will email our mail
> administrators, and will starting queuing mail for local users, instead
> of delivering them?

Exim will automatically start queueing mail for local users if it can't
write to their mailboxes because the partition is full.