Re: [EXIM] Preventing mail spool from filling up

Author: Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder
To: Nick O'Brien
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Preventing mail spool from filling up

>From spec.txt:

check_log_inodes

    Type:    integer
    Default: 0

    See check_spool_space below.

check_log_space

    Type:    integer
    Default: 0

    See check_spool_space below.

check_spool_inodes

    Type:    integer
    Default: 0

    See check_spool_space below.

check_spool_space

    Type:    integer
    Default: 0

    The four check_... options allow for checking of disc resources
before a message is accepted: check_spool_space and check_spool_inodes
check the spool partition if either value is greater than zero, for
example:

      check_spool_space = 10M
      check_spool_inodes = 100

    The spool partition is the one which contains the directory defined
by SPOOL_DIRECTORY in Local/Makefile.

check_log_space and check_log_inodes check the partition in which log
files are written if either is greater than zero. These should be set
only if log_file_path is set to point to a different partition to the
spool directory.

    If there is less space or fewer inodes than requested, Exim refuses
to accept incoming mail. In the case of SMTP input this is done by
giving a 452 temporary error response to the MAIL command. If ESMTP is
in use and there was a SIZE parameter on the MAIL command, its value is
added to the check_spool_space value, and the check is performed even
if check_spool_space is zero, unless no_smtp_check_spool_space is set.

    For non-SMTP input and for batched SMTP input, the test is done at
start-up; on failure a message is written to stderr and Exim exits with
a non- zero code, as it obviously cannot send an error message of any
kind.