Re: [EXIM] Preventing mail spool from filling up

Author: Jeffrey Goldberg
To: Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder
CC: Nick O'Brien, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Preventing mail spool from filling up
check_spool_space and associated configurations don't answer the original
question as I understand it. The original question was about filling up
the partition of filesystem with the actual mailboxes, say
/var/spool/mail) and not of Exim's spool directory, say /usr/spool/exim .

As your quote from the manual said.

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Microwave Systems Eximlist Exploder wrote:

>     The four check_... options allow for checking of disc resources
> [...]
>     The spool partition is the one which contains the directory defined
> by SPOOL_DIRECTORY in Local/Makefile.

This is NOT typically where delivery occurs. Yes, we all know that
the traditional name for that, /usr/spool/mail, does say spool in it, but
that is misleading.

So, I think the question is whether exim can be configured to check and
warn about free space in delivery partitions. If something like that were
to exist, it should presumably be added to the appendfile transprot, since
that is when it knows what partition it is delivering to. A quick look at
the specs (2.12) suggests that no such feature exists.

I could imagine a feature that allows a delivery threshold in for
appendfile, but as far as I can see, all it would do is effectively cut
down your partition size. That is, exim will fail to deliver and defer if
the partition is 100 percent full anyway. So what is gained by setting
things up to do that when the partition is 95 percent full unless you've
got other things going on on that partition?

As for warning postmaste when such a thershold is met, I'm not sure that
that is exim's job.

The original question was about damage from mail loops, and said quotas
are a political problem at the site. Well, then take a look at the
largest mailbox on your system now, multiply by 5 and set your quota to
that. Nobody should notice the quota unless something goes very wrong.

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814