Re: [EXIM] smtp sender_verify does not work for me

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Alexander Koch
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] smtp sender_verify does not work for me
On Thu, 27 May 1999, Alexander Koch wrote:

> |550 rejected: cannot route to sender <ich@???>

Correct: nix.cid.net does not appear to exist.

> After setting sender_try_verify I get the 550 immediately.

Ah! You have been confused by Exim's subtleness. It is not
sender_try_verify that has done that. It is because it is the second
time in 24 hours that it received the same bad sender from the same
host. It concludes that the remote MTA ignored the 550 after the DATA,
so this time it sends it after the MAIL FROM. If it gets it again, it
will send 550s to all the RCPT TO commands in a final attempt to shut
the client up. See the last part of section 39.2 in the 3.00 manual.

> Besides, I also had the problem with those broken MTAs
> (timeouts after DATA, never had that before), but Georg's
> hints (gvz@???, a tr -d '\\\\0' as a transport filter)
> worked nicely. Is this 3.0-related, perhaps?

No. Exim has always been 8-bit clean.