[EXIM] smtp sender_verify does not work for me

Author: Alexander Koch
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] smtp sender_verify does not work for me
G'Evening (or whatever).

I had the problem of Exim saying no to an illegal sender
after the DATA only:

|mail from:<ich@???>
|250 <ich@???> is syntactically correct
|rcpt to:<argh@???>
|250 <argh@???> verified
|data
|354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
|ohoh.
|.
|550 rejected: cannot route to sender <ich@???>

This is my relevant configuration part:
[..]
|sender_verify
|sender_verify_fixup
|sender_verify_reject
|receiver_verify
|smtp_verify

Exim 3.00 running here.

After setting sender_try_verify I get the 550 immediately.
Now, which version is better and will not the first version
cause more trouble (we know what MTAs are out there)?
Or do I get something wrong here? If the sender is clearly
broken (/nonexistent) I do not want to have the traffic
sent to me at all. I may be overseeing something...

Besides, I also had the problem with those broken MTAs
(timeouts after DATA, never had that before), but Georg's
hints (gvz@???, a tr -d '\\\\0' as a transport filter)
worked nicely. Is this 3.0-related, perhaps?

TIA,
Alexander

--
Heute nacht war mir fuenf Minuten langweilig... -- Gabriel Krabbe
Alexander Koch - <>< - aka Efraim - PGP - 0xE7694969 - Hannover - Germany