[EXIM] 'bounce' messages from a different user..

Author: Jason Gunthorpe
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] 'bounce' messages from a different user..

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:

> > Now this works rather well, it does exactly what I want, however the
> > 'bounce' messages generated by the 'seen mail...' line are sent from the
> > wrong user. I would like to tell exim to use some other user when
> > sending the reply message, specifically I would like it to use
> > Debian Packages Information <info@???>
>
> I take it that this is a system filter? If so, you can set
>
> message_filter_user = xxxx
>
> in order to run the filter as a specific user. Otherwise, you could
> perhaps make use of some rewriting.

No, it is invoked through a much more round about manner - it does run as
a specific user.

Changing the user name does not address the problem with the incorrect
domain name being used and would require a dummy user in the passwd file..

> > Also, on a different topic, There is an error in the filter specification
> > file, it says you can use spaces in those ${lookup constructs, you cannot,
> > exim gives errors:
>
> Er, you need to put strings in quotes when they contain spaces.

Hm, you might want to update your document, if the example you gave for
the ${lookup directive included quotes it would have saved me alot of time
:>

> > I have yet to see how the caller can detect it.. (ie can my example above
> > be made more robust using this?)
>
> by "caller", it means the bit of code in Exim that is currently being
> invoked. In the case of the constituents of an "if" command in a filter
> file, "fail" causes the condition to fail (if I read the code
> correctly. :-)

So the correct syntax would be:

if "${lookup {${local_part}} lsearch {maintainerdb} {$value} {unknown}}"
then
# Fail?

Thanks,
Jason