Re: [EXIM] 'bounce' messages from a different user..

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jason Gunthorpe
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] 'bounce' messages from a different user..
On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> I am using an exim filter file to process a virtual domain I have, my
> filter file looks like this:
>
> if ${lookup{${local_part}}lsearch{maintainerdb}{$value}{unknown}} is "unknown"
> then
>    seen mail expand file bouncemesg return message
> else
>    seen deliver ${lookup{${local_part}}partial-lsearch{maintainerdb}{$value}}
> endif

> Now this works rather well, it does exactly what I want, however the
> 'bounce' messages generated by the 'seen mail...' line are sent from the
> wrong user. I would like to tell exim to use some other user when
> sending the reply message, specifically I would like it to use
> Debian Packages Information <info@???>

I take it that this is a system filter? If so, you can set

message_filter_user = xxxx

in order to run the filter as a specific user. Otherwise, you could
perhaps make use of some rewriting.

> Also, on a different topic, There is an error in the filter specification
> file, it says you can use spaces in those ${lookup constructs, you cannot,
> exim gives errors:

Er, you need to put strings in quotes when they contain spaces.

> Finally, the Filter Specification document has a paragraph like:
>
>    Instead of {<string2>} the word 'fail' can appear, and in this case, if
>    the lookup fails, the entire string expansion fails in a way that can be
>    detected by the caller. The consequences of this depend on the
>    circumstances.

> I have yet to see how the caller can detect it.. (ie can my example above
> be made more robust using this?)

by "caller", it means the bit of code in Exim that is currently being
invoked. In the case of the constituents of an "if" command in a filter
file, "fail" causes the condition to fail (if I read the code
correctly. :-)