Re: [EXIM] incoming connect closes after MAIL FROM

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] incoming connect closes after MAIL FROM
On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises, Inc. and Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> The receiver is Exim and they are on the same LAN directly connected to the
> same hub, so there is no router or anything. In addition, when done
> interactively, it happens all at once so there is no timeout happening.

The only think I can think of doing is running Exim in debugging mode on
the server, to see what information it puts out. This can be done by
running your daemon with

exim -bd -d9

but if your server is busy, it will send an awful lot of output to
stderr. You can kill such a daemon with ^C, because it doesn't
disconnect from the controlling terminal.

If you can't find a quiet enough time to do this, you could make use of
a different port. Run another server as

exim -bd -d9 -oX 1225

say, and configure the client to use this alternate port, by setting the
"service" option in the smtp transport

service = 1225

Then the debugging output from the server won't be contaminated with
stuff from other messages passing through.