Re: [EXIM] 'bounce' messages from a different user..

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jason Gunthorpe
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] 'bounce' messages from a different user..
On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> No, it is invoked through a much more round about manner - it does run as
> a specific user.

Ah, then I'm confused about what the problem is, sorry. The "mail"
command does allow you to set the "From:" header. However, unless the
specific user submitting the message is trusted, Exim will insert a
Sender: header too. Does that help?

> Hm, you might want to update your document, if the example you gave for
> the ${lookup directive included quotes it would have saved me alot of time
> :>

Oops. My apologies. I will add words to the description of ${lookup}.

> So the correct syntax would be:
>
> if "${lookup {${local_part}} lsearch {maintainerdb} {$value} {unknown}}"
> then
> # Fail?

No. In a filter file, there isn't any difference in behaviour between

  if "${lookup {${local_part}} lsearch {maintainerdb} {$value} {unknown}}"
    is not "unknown"
  then

and

  if "${lookup {${local_part}} lsearch {maintainerdb} {$value} fail}"
    is not "unknown"
  then

because hitting the "fail" causes the condition always to fail. However,
if you just have

if "${lookup {${local_part}} lsearch {maintainerdb} {$value} }" then

you will hit a syntax error, since the condition is not complete. It is
equivalent to saying

if "xxxx" then

which isn't a valid condition. In fact, the expansion will be the empty
string if the lookup fails.