Re: [EXIM] A way to do this?

Author: Leonardo Boselli
To: exim-users, Jason L Tibbitts III
Subject: Re: [EXIM] A way to do this?
On 18 Apr 99, at 1:08, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> SL> That is utterly deplorable. People who run legit mail servers of
> their SL> own do so for a reason. All the ISP is doing is increasing the
> load of SL> their mail server dramatically for no good reason at all.
> More and more sites do not accept mail for dialups; the DUL and DSSL are
> ensuring that. If your connectivity is important to you then you should
> consider not sending mail directly from an IP that is from an ISP's dialup
> block.

Here local policy is not accepting relay from non local or selected
remote sites, but no enforcing is made against message going to
local addresses fro DU connection.
Incidentally there are at least two case -that I use regularly- where
you must be able to send e-mail directly from a WS, on a dialup
line.
1) You are sending time sensitive messages, that lost their utility
after a few minutes. You can prefer deliver yourself and throwing
away if undelivered after say 15' , rather than giving to an external
server where you cannot modify queues. (Two examples to clarify:
it is 1915 and you have to send a long document to someone that
is in the office, but will go away at 1925 ... So if the document is
not received within 8' it would be unuseful until next week, but
would appear at home where he is paying connection by the time.
(I got this saturday one of such 1.2 MB messages :-((( )
It then would be better to kill the deliver if not completed before
1923; the secon example is notify of a on-line meeting to many
people. You have to announce your ip-address for connections, but
also to be sure that the message is at least delevered within your
session, or it would be unuseful, and you do not want to fill other
people box with garbage ... )
2) If your main connection is broken for some reason you caould
dialup to an alternate site and use that connection to send out your
queues, keeping full control. Site blocking connection from dialupo
would not get our mail at that time ....
Also it interesting to note that one of the alternate ISP althought
not filtering ports, asked us to use their main SMTP server, while
the other at the contrary prefer we use our machine to do the job.
Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile
Universita` di Firenze