Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to …

Author: Steve Lamb
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] (un)blocking dynamic IP addresses [Was: A way to do this?]
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 00:14:13 -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:

>    How about someone using one of the several free Dyndns projects to run a
>mailing list?  Or a technical person who simply wishes control over their
>mail or wants to do the right thing and have their machine deliver the mail
>instead of bogging down the ISP's machine?

    I even forgot the reason that started all of this in the first place.
The user wants to connect to their own mail server out on the net.  If an ISP
redirects it to their own, that, IMHO, is a violation of epic perportions.  I
am vehemently opposed to any and all involuntary redirection on the part of
the ISP.  A layer 4 switch forcing everyone into a proxy, for example, is
inexcusable.  The same forcing all outbound 25's to their mail server,
unacceptable.  Security and privacy alone are the reasons those should not be
done, not to mention the simple fact that it plays hell with diagnostics.

"I can ping it, I can traceroute it, I can MTR it, I can telnet into the
machine, why does my mail/web not get there?"

- --