Re: [EXIM] One message to *lots* of people

Author: Exim Users Mailing List
To: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] One message to *lots* of people
[ On Thursday, February 18, 1999 at 14:00:08 (+0000), Philip Hazel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] One message to *lots* of people
>
> On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Steve Lamb wrote:
> >
> >     My reply to that BS and goes, point by point, tearing it to shreads.  As
> > I said in a private reply, here's the short form:  RFC822 expressly allows
> > for the reply-to to be changed for discussion lists.  I assume that people
> > here *have* read 822?

> Some of us have also read draft-ietf-drums-msg-fmt-07.txt, which is the
> draft of 822's successor.

It should probably be noted that there have been several drafts
"published" recently on this topic, and they seem to be somewhat
sanctioned by the same IETF DRUMS group that's revising RFC-822 (among
other things).

    draft-ietf-drums-kre-reply-to-00.txt
    draft-ietf-drums-replyto-meaning-00.txt
    draft-ietf-drums-replyto-personal-00.txt

I've no idea of their current status, or even if they all still exist on
the IETF servers. The copies I have are all from the fall of 1997

FYI, I personally always reply only to the list, and set the "Reply-To"
to point at the list when I know that everyone who posts to the list
must be subscribed to it; unless of course I'm sending a personal reply.
I do this because I do *not* want multiple copies of replies to things I
post on public forums. Usually this works, though sometimes it seems
people commonly use the "reply all" or "group reply" function and this
causes some MUAs (such as pine, mutt, BSDmail, etc.) to reply to the
"From:" address (in addition). In fact the last draft mentioned above
includes the results of a survey of popular MUAs and how they handle
things.

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>