[EXIM] Semi-FAQ: too many open files and Error 11 problems

Author: Ben Parker
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Semi-FAQ: too many open files and Error 11 problems

Would be grateful for settings anyone else is suceeding with to tackle
these two problems which happen when the server is very heavily loaded. I
get the "too many open files" error especially when a lot of messages land
for majordomo at the same time. I have set everything I could find in the
spec.txt and FAQs not to overstress my system (RedHat 5.0, exim 2.11).
exim is compiled WITH_DB (Berkley), should I try ndbm? Do I have to
recompile Linux? Yikes!

############# Things that I though were going to help: #########

log_level = 6
check_spool_inodes = 100
lookup_open_max = 5
trusted_users = mail:majordom:uucp
finduser_retries = 20
remote_max_parallel = 2
freeze_tell_mailmaster = true
auto_thaw = 10m
log_file_path = /var/spool/exim/log/%slog
queue_run_max = 2
end