Re: [EXIM] Semi-FAQ: too many open files and Error 11 proble…

Author: Ben Parker
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Semi-FAQ: too many open files and Error 11 problems
(Linux 2.0.32, Red Hat 5.0, exim 2.11)

I am reviving this thread to bring you my latest tribulations... The too
many open files problem has gone, thanks to this advice from Lee and
others. However, I am still getting these "Resource temporarily
unavailable" errors on .forward deliveries that run a program when the
load is a bit above average. Unfortunately the message gets mangled
(header and no body) and causes a mess. I have plenty of swap memory but
not much real memory available. How can I tell if this is a memory or disk
problem? I am loathe to apply the filehandle patch to increase per-process
file handles as it seems (from my limited reading of the FM(s)) unlikely
to be the problem. Can I limit exim to only run a transport if a certain
amount of memory or processes are available? Or can I put something in the
.forward? I already tell exim not to run the queue if the load is greater
than 3.0. Help! mailagent is a perl program that scoffs quite a lot of
memory.

1999-03-26 09:54:51 10QQW1-0004uD-00 == |/usr/local/lib/mailagent/filter
>> /home/english/mailagent.log 2>&1 <english@???> T=address_pipe

defer (11): Resource temporarily unavailable: Error 11

Ben
Nairobi