Re: [EXIM] Semi-FAQ: too many open files and Error 11 proble…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Ben Parker
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Semi-FAQ: too many open files and Error 11 problems
On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Ben Parker wrote:

> Would be grateful for settings anyone else is suceeding with to tackle
> these two problems which happen when the server is very heavily loaded. I
> get the "too many open files" error especially when a lot of messages land
> for majordomo at the same time.

Where do you see this error? Is is Exim that is giving it? There was a
problem of this nature some releases back, but it got fixed in 2.10.
Have a look at the lookup_open_max option, which was what got added.
Maybe in your circumstances its default value is too high.

However, I note that you say this happens "when the server is heavily
loaded". This suggests that it might not be the per-process open file
limit, but a per-system limit. I think there is such a thing. Presumably
there is some kernel parameter that you could increase, but I'm afraid I
do not know what it is.

> exim is compiled WITH_DB (Berkley), should I try ndbm?

No! ndbm uses *more* files (twice as many, to be precise).