Re: [EXIM] What to do with bounce messages that stay in the …

Author: Chris Thompson
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] What to do with bounce messages that stay in the queue
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Paul Walsh wrote:

> I've noticed a number of bounce messages sticking in our queue presumably
> because they have a null sender address <> and the receiving host chooses
> not to follow RFC1123.

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Philip Hazel wrote:
[...]
>                               For those few that *are* caused by
> receiving hosts not liking MAIL FROM:<> I send a message to the
> postmaster at that site, quoting the RFCs and quoting the SMTP dialogue
> (I keep a canned template for the purpose).

RFC 2505 has some good words to say on this [section 2 recommendation (6a);
and section 2.6].

>                                              Sometime it gets results,
> sometimes not. The first time, I edit the sender of the message to
> postmaster@??? (using eximon or exim -Mes). Subsequent occurrences I
> ignore.

Sometimes explicitly threatening to block all incoming mail from their
domain if they won't accept error reports has been known to work.

Chris Thompson               Cambridge University Computing Service,
Email: cet1@???    New Museums Site, Cambridge CB2 3QG,
Phone: +44 1223 334715       United Kingdom.