Re: [EXIM] What to do with bounce messages that stay in the …

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Paul Walsh
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] What to do with bounce messages that stay in the queue
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Paul Walsh wrote:

> I've noticed a number of bounce messages sticking in our queue presumably
> because they have a null sender address <> and the receiving host chooses
> not to follow RFC1123.

The vast majority of these I see are not for that reason, but because
the recipient address they are sending to is bogus (and the message that
provoked the bounce is spam). For those few that *are* caused by
receiving hosts not liking MAIL FROM:<> I send a message to the
postmaster at that site, quoting the RFCs and quoting the SMTP dialogue
(I keep a canned template for this purpose). Sometime it gets results,
sometimes not. The first time, I edit the sender of the message to
postmaster@??? (using eximon or exim -Mes). Subsequent occurrences I
ignore.

> 3.    Somehow automatically delete the message to the other end won't play
> ball

Yes, I do that too, by setting

auto_thaw = 24h
ignore_errmsg_errors_after = 12h

so that if I don't notice a stuck message fairly quickly, it just gets
discarded.