[EXIM] Announce: aliases2cdbm, for getting /etc/aliases int…

Author: Jim Knoble
To: Exim Users
New-Topics: [EXIM] Exim on Debian
Subject: [EXIM] Announce: aliases2cdbm, for getting /etc/aliases into cdbmake
I've made a small utility to convert text-based aliasfiles
(/etc/aliases) into input suitable for cdbmake. Basically, the cdb
package's such utility (12tocdbm) suffered from the limitations of
being implemented in awk.

I've tried to make this one, aliases2cdbm, understand most (all?) of
the possible variations that exim's lsearch will accept, including
expansion values that are continued over multiple lines, so that a
real-life aliasfile can be converted to CDB format easily.
Additionally, this utility emits warnings here and there for things
like empty keys, empty expansions, and indented lines that you may not
have meant to indent.

Please try this out and let me know what y'all think (even if what you
think isn't very nice :). It's on my website for now:

    http://www.pobox.com/~jmknoble/software/index.html

I consider it beta quality, since i've only used it in one spot; it
might make your aliases database shudder, bulge, and explode into tiny
bits. Use with caution. Please send any problem reports to me.

Thanks.

--jim