Re: [EXIM] Unfortunate error

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Oliver Smith
CC: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Unfortunate error

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:36:55 GMT, "Oliver Smith" wrote:

> "failing address is: www@??? <www@???>"
>
> I can see why this is an error, but is it actually an error or is it
> something I can tell Exim to accept?

It's really an error in the sense that it violates RFC822. Teaching Exim
to believe that this is valid will break something else, so you really
can't win.

> (Because my logs would indicate there
> are a LOT of stupid users who mail the above To line).

This is almost _certainly_ because www@??? is sending mail out with
an invalid From or Reply-To field. Rather than trying to educate all
your users, I'd recommend that you contant www@??? directly, making
him / her aware of the problem.

> Again I can see why it's an error, but I'd prefer my mail system not
> to be the one causing the headache (since these emails made it to me
> and most of the other destination addresses).

This sounds like a Very Bad Idea. Are all these people using the same
(braindead?) mail client? If so, what is it? :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.