Re: [EXIM] Exim Newbie question about relaying.

Author: michael
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim Newbie question about relaying.
> > I want to queue up incoming external messages and process them
> > periodically say every 5 minutes - open an smtp connection to our internal
> > server and used the same smtp connection to deliver them all in one go.
>
> Set queue_smtp=yes. Run your Exim daemon with "exim -bd -q5m". On your
> internal server (if it is running Exim) set
> smtp_accept_queue_per_connection to something larger than the default 10.
>
> But why? Why not let them get delivered as they arrive?

I made some performance tests and I can achieve a significantly higher
throughput if I queue incoming messages and deliver them all at once to
the mail drop. I run the queue every 10 seconds right now. Our mail
volume has not reached the anticipated amount yet, but flooding the
servers with artificial email showed that queue_smtp helps a lot.

Hopefully I can give some real life numbers within some months.

Michael