Re: [EXIM] Unfortunate error

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Oliver Smith
CC: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Unfortunate error
On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Oliver Smith wrote:

> "failing address is: www@??? <www@???>"
>
> I can see why this is an error, but is it actually an error or is it
> something I can tell Exim to accept? (Because my logs would indicate there
> are a LOT of stupid users who mail the above To line).

(1) MUAs should not permit users to create messages that break RFC822 syntax
rules. If they do, the MUAs are broken.

(2) If you don't turn on headers_check_syntax, then it won't check the
syntax!

(3) It is actually an error. The correct RFC 822 syntax is

To: "www@???" <www@???>

because both @ and . are special characters.

> I also found several users now have 'address book' entries with colons in,
> so that they generated extended CC or TO lines that end up with
>
> To:  first person, second person,
>      Work: John Doe, Net: Third

> Again I can see why it's an error, but I'd prefer my mail system not to be
> the one causing the headache (since these emails made it to me and most of
> the other destination addresses).

Colon is also a special character. It can appear in To: lines as part of
the "group" syntax, e.g.

To: friends: Tom, Dick, Harry;, other-person, ...

Note that the list is terminated by semicolon. The lines you quote above
do not match this format.

If you want to let junk headers through, turn off headers_check_syntax.