[EXIM] Getting local hostname in configure file

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Ian D Crorie
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] Getting local hostname in configure file

Just before I make my first posting to the list (as an exim admin of
about two weeks now) I'd like to thank those involved in preparing
more 'bonehead friendly' documentation. The specs at exim.org
are good but more simple 'how to ..' stuff would be really useful.

I think that what I want (see later) is a way to get a simple
hostname as part of local_domains in the configure file. I thought
that the @ shorthand would work but when it isn't a FQDN then readconf.c
uses gethostbyname to canonize it.

Then I thought I could use exim's string expansion facilities to
get the hostname part but variations of the following don't do
what I'd hoped:

local_domains = ${expand:${extract{1}{.}{${primary_hostname}}}}:@:.....

Any suggestions?

[Why do I want the local (non-FQDN) hostname in local_domains?]

I'd much prefer to share configure files between many machines
on a few NFS mounted file systems, without each one needing a
seperate configure.hostname file. I'd also like these machines
to do no remote deliveries except to our main mail server(s). The
latter I set up by using just a single router as below:

smart_route:
driver = domainlist
transport = remote_smtp
route_list = "* mail-server-1.cee.hw.ac.uk bydns_a"

However, when the lookuphost router is commented out these machines
cannot seem to use the DNS to expand 'hostname' to 'hostname.cee.hw.ac.uk'
and so (eventually) recognise it as local. And a number of things
here (like lpd errors and an old MUA which I have to support) produce
addresses of the form user@hostname

If anyone has an alternative solution to this problem, that would be
great. Thanks in advance.

---
Question:
If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman to hear him...
is he still wrong?