[EXIM] Exim logging by means of syslog(3)?

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Harald Meland
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] Exim logging by means of syslog(3)?
Currently, we have lots and lots (hundreds) of sendmail null-clients
running here at uio.no, configured to do nothing but ship everything
they get into our central mail servers. I'm planning to replace these
sendmail installations with Exim (and possibly replacing the central
mail server software with Exim as well, eventually).

Having logs for hundreds of Exim installations lying around on various
local disks is undesirable. With sendmail, we solve this problem by
having syslogd(8) send everything logged to the mail facility, level
debug or higher, to a central logging host.

But, there is not much support for syslog(3) in Exim 1.92. Is there
some reason for this?

IMHO, logging directly to local disk should be a feature orthogonal to
logging through syslog. I can see logging to local disk being a
reasonable default for most systems using Exim today, but I , for one,
would really like to have "proper" syslog logging.
--
Harald