Re: [EXIM] Strange message sizes after upgrading to 1.90...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Ray Smith
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Strange message sizes after upgrading to 1.90...
On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Ray Smith wrote:

>    Upgraded to 1.90 last week and we have begun having problems
> sending e-mail to Skytel (Nationwide paging service here in the colonies).
> They limit incoming messages to 10K and for some reason all of our
> e-mail's going to them come out to 16K or better.

Oh my goodness. My fault. I never imagined anybody would set a limit as
low as 10K.

What happened was that I was persuaded to extend Exim to use the SIZE=
option for outgoing mail. The problem is that it doesn't actually know
the number of bytes that it will send down the line, because (a)
some things can get added, and (b) more importantly, each LF in the file
gets turned into CRLF and it doesn't know how many lines there are in
the file. So, to be on the safe side, it adds 16K to what it sends in
SIZE to allow a margin for these things.

I knew it, I knew it. I should have stuck to the old simple non-ESMTP
protocol.

You can stop this happening by looking around line 1004 in
transports/smtp.c where it inspects the value of smtp_use_size. If you
put

smtp_use_size = FALSE;

just above this, it won't do it.

I have made a note to try to improve this. Given that circumstances such
as yours exist, I will have to think of a way of making the fudge factor
dependent on the size of the message, say 10% of the size, or something.