Re: [EXIM] Strange message sizes after upgrading to 1.90...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Exim Users Mailing List
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] Strange message sizes after upgrading to 1.90...
[ On Tue, April 14, 1998 at 12:06:19 (+0100), Philip Hazel wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [EXIM] Strange message sizes after upgrading to 1.90...
>
> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Ray Smith wrote:
>
> >    Upgraded to 1.90 last week and we have begun having problems
> > sending e-mail to Skytel (Nationwide paging service here in the colonies).
> > They limit incoming messages to 10K and for some reason all of our
> > e-mail's going to them come out to 16K or better.

> Oh my goodness. My fault. I never imagined anybody would set a limit as
> low as 10K.

Actually it may make sense for some mailers to make the limit as low as
a couple of hundred bytes. Yes, 200. Eg. gateways to text-messaging
pagers. For example my PCS cellular phone provider has a gateway
that'll accept messages of up to 250 characters. Unfortunately the
phone (a Sony dual-mode PCS-CDMA/Analog model) will only accept text
messages of 100 bytes, so I get a max. of three messages per e-mail.

Even more unfortunately they don't set the ESMTP size to 250 bytes, but
instead just chop off the message at that limit. At least if the user
got a bounce they'd know I'd missed some of the content and could trim
it down to the bare minimum.

Even more unfortunately they're using Sendmail, but that's another
story....

--
                            Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@???>      <robohack!woods>