Re: [EXIM] RFC1413 timeouts, firewalls and sendmail

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Paul Mansfield
A: Jeffrey Goldberg
Cc: Philip Hazel, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] RFC1413 timeouts, firewalls and sendmail
On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> > What do people think? Should I reduce the default to 30s?
> Reduce the default to 30, flag this in the documents, and we

I've set this on our mail systems now, reluctantly... we've been
trying very hard to ensure customers have properly configured mail
clients/servers, so that they neither harbour spammers nor look
like spammers (I thought one was!)

> should all inform firewall maintainers that the should
> respond or refuse ident requests.

one customer was told by Lotus support that his timeout was "because we
didn't have enough bandwidth". Huh! Actually, I think they just wanted
him to go away.

> I do like the idea of logging the ident of connection originator.
> And as the world gets more careful, exim will not be the only
> service out there making ident requests. So the firewall managers
> are going to have to learn this anyway, not just for smtp connections
> to hosts running exim.

I've seen web stuff play with this too now I think

> Someone might want to post some annoucement to some firewall list
> or group.

assuming the firewall people's email is still working :-)

Paul
----
P Mansfield, Senior SysAdmin PSINet, +44-1223-577577x2611/577611 fax:577600
...looking for SignatureNG++, as SignatureClassic was getting boring