Re: [EXIM] RFC1413 timeouts, firewalls and sendmail

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: jhenders
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] RFC1413 timeouts, firewalls and sendmail
On Tue, Mar 24/98, Philip Hazel <ph10@???> wrote:

> That is why I chose 60 seconds as the default; there are some *very*
> slow bits of the Internet. However, I did rather assume that timeouts
> would be rare and "connection refused" would be the response when the
> connection could not be made.
>
> What do people think? Should I reduce the default to 30s?

I ran across this same problem with a customer who had a firewall. Their
users popped their mail from one of our servers using Eudora, and their
firewall timed out the ident port instead of rejecting it. Eudora's
default timeout is 60 sec. I would say reducing the default would save a
lot of people some investigation time when this happens as it's not an
easy problem to track down. I've basically given up on ident as the
number of machines running it make it pretty useless any more and there
are mini ident servers for windows boxes that will tell you whatever the
user wants.

--
  Artificial Intelligence stands no chance against Natural Stupidity.