[EXIM] load testing results, and my floodexim script

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Paul Mansfield
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] load testing results, and my floodexim script

Below is my quick hack at blasting mail through an exim host. No apologies are
offered for coding, actually I'm kind of proud 'cos it took less time to write
than it took to run the first time :-)

I ran this on host1 (sendmail) who's smart relay is host2 (Exim 1.82), with
the final destination being on host3 (sendmail), with a variety of settings.

Host1 = twin cpu ultra/2 @ 300Mhz, Solaris2.5.1
Host2 = single cpu ultra/1 @ 190Mhz, Solaris2.5.1
Host3 = single CPU sparc20, Solaris2.6

With a batch size of 1, mail rippled through nicely, 1 per second, 60 per
minute.

With a batch size of 2, the backlog was 40 mail messages (383 received, 483
sent) with load averages of 6.77/5.96/2.97. It took 5m30s to despatch
them from host1, and timestamps for receiving showed the last message arrived
less than five minutes after the first.

With batch size 3, host3 started to lag so badly that the local mail delivery
started to thrash, and it took quite a few min before the machine caught up.

With 10, host3 died with the overload, and I had to break it to boot prompt,
and force a reboot!

#!/bin/csh

set target=testaccount@???
#set batchSize=1
#set batchSize=10
set batchSize=2
set total=0
set finalTotal=555

# right, lets send some emails
while ($total < $finalTotal)
    set timestamp=`date`
    echo "at $timestamp, total so far is $total"
    set count=$batchSize
    while ($count > 0)
        echo "total count of mail so far is $total, this is $count in this batch" | mailx -s "TEST MAIL TOTAL $total" $target
        set count=`expr $count - 1`
        set total=`expr $total + 1`
    end
    sleep 1