[EXIM] A looong list of comments/suggestions/requests.

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Peter Radcliffe
A: exim-users
Asunto: [EXIM] A looong list of comments/suggestions/requests.
We've now been using exim as our main relay MTA for a few weeks now.
We have two machines running exim that are each doing up to 1.8Gb of mail
delivery a day.
Generally we are very happy with them. Amount of spam getting to/through
our machines has dropped considerably due to verification and they are
working quite nicely.

I have, however, put together a long list of wishes and comments ....

A difference between the spec and reality:
'exim -qR<address>' fails - the actual format accepted seems to be
'exim -qR <address>'. This breaks the sendmail compatability (sendmail
has no space there, as the spec says).

Suggestions:
If an appendfile filename is /dev/null deliver to nowhere even if no
user has been set for that delivery ? We had a few failures due to this
until I changed them all to :blackhole:.

Can we have in the log entry for the end of a -R queue run to have the
-R string there, as the queue run start log entry does ?
Matching the pids in the log file on a busy server is a real pain.

Can exim log the IP address in reject log when rejected due to invalid
HELO/EHLO ?

Return the address sender verification actually rejected in SMTP and
rejectlog errors ? I've spent a lot of time in the last few weeks working
out what exim actually complained about in headers in reject logs
(either in the bounce message, or marking all the rejected addresses in
the rejectlog).

exim -Meb runs the editor as the exim user in my configuration, since
I run exim as the user 'exim'.
This breaks my personal configuration for emacs (the editor I happen to
use) and the X authentication. Can it be changed to (assuming exim is suid)
run the editor as the user ?

I'd suggest changing delay example to:
  delay_warning_condition = "\
    ${if match{$h_precedence:}{(?i)bulk|list|junk}{no}{yes}}"
'junk' is quite commonly used as well as bulk and list.

An option for eximstats to display a summery of relayed messages (delivered
X messages to/from domain N) without all the details.
A full eximstats on a day's relaying is really silly :)

The build scripts make no differentiation between 2.5.1 and 2.6 Solaris.
These are not interchangable .... I added:
--------8<--------
*** os-type     Fri Dec 19 05:37:14 1997
--- exim-1.82-3/scripts/os-type Wed Feb 25 11:22:50 1998
***************
*** 81,86 ****
--- 81,87 ----
  SunOS5) case `uname -m` in
          sun4H)  os="${os}-hal";;
          esac
+         os="${os}-`uname -r`";;
  esac

# OK, the script seems to have worked. Pass the value back.
--------8<--------
to make it OS version dependant.

Can we have command line options for exim or a support script to display
the message body, headers and log.
Currently I do this with a shell script, but its dependant on the location of
the queue so should be changed when exim is built IMO.

I really, really want lockfiles on queue runs so you can only have one
queue run running for a particular string at any given time.
Our users have manged to cripple a mail server with broken mail server
software that sends an ETRN after _every_ mail is forwards to our relay
(we have told the people who wrote the software that this is broken and
it should be fixed in the next release, but I still don't want customers
to be able to do simple denial of service attacks on our mailservers).

Bug:
Start eximon with no queue entries, wait until something appears on the
queue, shift-click item on the queue (don't do anything to it) and release,
wait until queue is empty, shift click on empty queue. eximon hangs solid.

Oddities:
exim doesn't seem to be sending EHLO out even when the other end has
advertised ESMTP, in many cases ... any suggestions for what I should be
checking to debug this ?

When doing delivery for the same domain in a queue run uses individual
connections - why ? Might this be related to the HELO/EHLO comment above ?
In my reading the spec it should check the hints database to see if there
are any waiting deliveries for the same host once one delivery has suceeded ?
Might it be because they are for a different MX record host ?
(I'm seeing this on domains that have only one MX record below our relays,
though :/ ).

Any comments ?

Peter.

--