Re: [EXIM] load testing results, and my floodexim script

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Paul Mansfield
A: Sherwood Botsford
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] load testing results, and my floodexim script
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Sherwood Botsford wrote:
> Interesting.
>
> As far as I could tell from the script all the messages were going to
> a single destination account. I think sendmail uses rmail for delivery.

yes, this was because I hacked it all together!

> With a single account, all the rmail processes are going to be tripping
> over themselves checking lock files. A more realistic test would

yes, they did!

> have a raft of test accounts, with some kind of distribution for
> how many messages each received.
>
> It aslo shows why sendmail has facilities for refusing connections
> when the load level gets too high.

I don't think anyone would try and make sendmail multi-threaded :-)

> It may be that host3 ran out of process table slots, so had
> a bunch of processes in a deadlock, and no room to start another
> process that would have cleared the jam.

I think this is probably what happened!

> I find this interesting.
>
> What happens if you flip around and use the exim host as the final
> receiver?

erm... hold on a second... erm, I haven't set up exim to do local delivery,
I gave it a quick try, but it just dumped all the mail somewhere and I couldn't
find it :-)

Paul
----
P Mansfield, Senior SysAdmin PSINet, +44-1223-577577x2611/577611 fax:577600
"Whatever it was that wasn't wrong and couldn't be reproduced and works like
it always has...has apparently been fixed."... from a fault report.