Re: [EXIM] helo_verify request for feature

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Paul Mansfield, Bruce Bowler, Nigel Metheringham
Cc: exim-users, Alan B. Clegg, John Henders
Asunto: Re: [EXIM] helo_verify request for feature
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Paul Mansfield wrote:

> is there any way Exim could let the mail through but bounce an warning to
> the sender, so that they get fed up and change their configuration?

You'd really have to get to the sender's postmaster, and that isn't
always straightforward.

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Bruce Bowler wrote:

> Philip, If we're voting, I'd vote for an option rather than the "just let
> it happen" approach.

I've implemented "just let it happen". It seemed easier, but I could add
an option if lots of people think I should. The thing is, some poor sod
installs Exim on a server, and then all the folk running their mail on
their PCs (including the Big Boss) have trouble with this one and cause
a lot of heat and light. It seemed kinder just to bow before this
particular wind. It's similar to header lines like

From: P.Hazel <ph10@???>

which is strictly illegal in RFC822. However, lots and lots of software
constructs headers like this, so Exim allows them.

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Too esoteric to have as an MTA option.

Agreed.