Re: [EXIM] Exim and Majordomo

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises Inc and Shire.Net
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Exim and Majordomo
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Chad Leigh, Pengar Enterprises Inc and Shire.Net wrote:

> (side question: how to make exim's alias handling code treat a result from
> the aliases file as a totally new address that should be reevaluated
> instead of being a "finished" local part?

I'm leaving the majordomo question for others to answer, since I have no
experience of it, but in response to the above question: Exim is indeed
supposed to treat the result of an alias expansion as an entirely new
address, *unless* it is identical to the incoming address which was
expanded.

This comes up again here because
> majordomo aliases can look like this:
>
> list-approval: list-owner
> list-owner: some@???
>
> and this failes as exim treats list-owner as a complete local part instead
> if reevaluating it as a possible alias.

Ah! I think you have a qualification problem. Exim qualifies all
unqualifed local parts with the single qualify domain. There is an item
on the wish list to provide an option so that unqualified local parts in
alias files get qualified with the domain of the incoming address, but I
haven't got round to implementing it yet. It has to be an option,
because you don't necessarily want this happening in general.