Re: [EXIM] syntactic rejection

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Henders
CC: Neal Becker, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] syntactic rejection
On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, John Henders wrote:

> > I have an item on the wish list to invent an more general option for this,
> > e.g. a regular expression.
>
> I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort to do a whole regex for
> this. The underscore is the only illegal character I've seen cause a
> problem. Does anyone know why it's illegal in the first place?

(1) I was planning to implement it as "if not alphameric, dot, or hyphen,
then if the option is set, try the regular expression". I'm then not
going to have to worry if somebody comes up with some other compelling
reason for accepting some other character.

(2) No idea why it's illegal, but modern nameservers will barf on it,
so it certainly isn't a good idea to use it.