Re: [EXIM] Relaying control -- configuration advice needed

Author: Adrian Bool
To: David Osborne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Relaying control -- configuration advice needed
On Mon 08 Dec, David Osborne wrote:
> I wrote [1 Dec 1997 16:06:41 GMT]:

> I have been using the above configuration with, I thought, success.
> However, it seems that it's not enough to prevent spam being first relayed
> via other systems on campus which forward outgoing mail through the mail
> hubs. Annoyingly, one of these other systems is also running Exim 1.73
> with the very same lines above in its configuration, so I would have
> expected it to reject the attempted relay. Other local systems which have
> been misused as spam relays are not under my control and I think do not
> have any relaying controls in place.
>
> Can I prevent this misuse? Just when I thought I had a handle on the
> relaying controls, too...

I'd imagine the only way would be to block incoming port 25 connections
to anythign but your mail hub on your main incoming router...

Dunno if the other servers should 'officially' be offerring SMTP...

aid

--
Adrian J Bool            | mailto:aid@u-net.net
Network Operations        | http://www.noc.u-net.net/