Re: [EXIM] Relaying control -- configuration advice needed

Author: David Osborne
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Relaying control -- configuration advice needed
I wrote [1 Dec 1997 16:06:41 GMT]:

> I urgently need to prevent use of our campus mail hubs (nottingham.ac.uk)

as
> unauthorised relays. Last time I tried this, I got something wrong and
> bounced some valid mail, so I'd welcome some help!
>
> I'm planning to add the following to their config files and would be

grateful
> for advice that these lines are sufficient:
>
> relay_domains = nottingham.ac.uk:*nottingham.ac.uk:*nott.ac.uk:partial-dbm;

/us
> r/local/exim/tables/relay-domains
> relay_domains_include_local_mx
> relay_match_host_or_sender
> sender_net_accept_relay = 128.243.0.0/255.255.0.0

I have been using the above configuration with, I thought, success. However,
it seems that it's not enough to prevent spam being first relayed via other
systems on campus which forward outgoing mail through the mail hubs.
Annoyingly, one of these other systems is also running Exim 1.73 with the
very same lines above in its configuration, so I would have expected it to
reject the attempted relay. Other local systems which have been misused as
spam relays are not under my control and I think do not have any relaying
controls in place.

Can I prevent this misuse? Just when I thought I had a handle on the relaying
controls, too...

--
David Osborne                            Postmaster@???
Postmaster                      phone/voicemail: +44 (0)115 951 3397