Re: [EXIM] .forward files and errors in them

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jon Peatfield
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] .forward files and errors in them
On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Jon Peatfield wrote:

> Can I cause the transport to do something special if the pipe specified
> doesn't exist? e.g. make the delivery fail or (preferably) freeze the
> message?

Well, what happens is that the transport forks a subprocess, and the
subprocess obeys execv() to run the command. I presume if the command
does not exist, the execv() fails. The subprocess then terminates with
some error code.

I suppose the specific case of non-existent file could be handled
specially. What about permission denied and other kinds of
misconfiguration, though? I fear a slippery slope with all kinds of
special handling for n differnt cases...

> If there is a way to do this in the forwardfile director instead it
> would be just as good in this case...

The director isn't into analyzing the details of the pipe command.