[EXIM] .forward files and errors in them

Author: Jon Peatfield
To: exim-users
CC: J.S.Peatfield
Subject: [EXIM] .forward files and errors in them
We have a forwardfile transport set up like:

address_pipe:
driver = pipe;
ignore_status,
return_output

the ignore_status was to cope with errors from vacation (I think).

Anyway, all seems to work, but if a user is stupid and has a forwardfile
contining an illegal path (e.g. to a non-existant file), then this silently
throws the output away.

This is the log of such an error:

1997-12-05 09:05:50 0xdthm-0000bs-00 <= root@???
    U=root P=local S=492
1997-12-05 09:05:51 0xdthm-0000bs-00 => |/non-existant/file
    <jsp15@???> D=userforward T=address_pipe
1997-12-05 09:05:51 0xdthm-0000bs-00 Completed

Can I cause the transport to do something special if the pipe specified
doesn't exist? e.g. make the delivery fail or (preferably) freeze the
message? If there is a way to do this in the forwardfile director instead it
would be just as good in this case...

I'd expect our users to know better than to do this but one of our MUAs
(Zmail) seems to delight in creating broken forwardfiles when it recieves
certain kinds of messages...

-- Jon