Re: [EXIM] Relaying control -- configuration advice needed

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Osborne
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Relaying control -- configuration advice needed
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, David Osborne wrote:

> I have been using the above configuration with, I thought, success. However,
> it seems that it's not enough to prevent spam being first relayed via other
> systems on campus which forward outgoing mail through the mail hubs.
> Annoyingly, one of these other systems is also running Exim 1.73 with the
> very same lines above in its configuration, so I would have expected it to
> reject the attempted relay. Other local systems which have been misused as
> spam relays are not under my control and I think do not have any relaying
> controls in place.
>
> Can I prevent this misuse? Just when I thought I had a handle on the relaying
> controls, too...

If you have to accept mail from any of your other systems from any
senders, then no. If you are prepared to screw down your rules so that
you are prepared to relay only if the mail comes from on-campus AND has
a sender in your domain, then you can set sender_address_relay in
conjunction with your existing controls.