Re: [EXIM] email message wont get through to Cisco

Author: Tom
To: Mervyn Jack
CC: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [EXIM] email message wont get through to Cisco

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Mervyn Jack wrote:

> Hi I have this email message with an attached 6.8Mb file one of users is
> trying to send to cisco but it fails. Can someone tell me if our system
> could be to blame before I go ranting at cisco please?

> Remote host proxy1.cisco.com [192.31.7.88] closed connection after
> sending data block

Very common (and stupid) way of dealing with large mail, just close the
socket. Pagemart's e-mail-to-pager gateway at pagemart.com does the same
thing.

Of course just closing the socket means the sender will try again and
again, and eventually bounce the message with a very unhelpful error
report.

Tom