Re: [EXIM] I need /bin/mail

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: George Bonser
CC: Philip Hazel, Neal Becker, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] I need /bin/mail
grep@??? said:
} I just ran into that the other day ... you will find the /bin/mail is
} a link to smail, delete bin mail and make a new link pointing to exim.
}

/bin/mail should be a very different animal to smail/exim - its generally
a limited MTA which does delivery into the spool and can invoke the main
MTA. I believe that smail came with a *very* small /bin/mail replacement
but my memory may be faulty (most people would ignore it since its only
needed for a very few types of systems).

sendmail needs /bin/mail to do final mail delivery since it does not
tickle the spool itself. exim has not need for this. The other main use
for /bin/mail is script mail invocation - I tend to use a mail which can
do subjects for this...

    Nigel.
--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@???   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 234 6065 ]