Re: [EXIM] Control of relaying on end system

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Richard Gilbert
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Control of relaying on end system
On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, Richard Gilbert wrote:

> What combination of relay options do I need to allow remote users
> (not necessarily on our network) using a POP mailer to use the host to
> relay mail to arbitrary addresses? I keep rereading the relevant section
> of the manual but find it a bit confusing. It looks as though I need to
> include sender_address_relay = *@hostname.shef.ac.uk -- or could this be
> reduced to '*@@'? (This looks rather like a special case.)

Depends on what you want to permit. If you want to permit any machine in
the world to relay mail through your mailer provided the sender address
is in your domain then, yes, setting

sender_address_relay = *@*.shef.ac.uk

would do that. However, if you also have host or network relay controls
on the same machine, the default is to require BOTH the sender AND the
host to be permissible. If you want to allow relaying provided EITHER
the host OR the sender is acceptable, you need to set

relay_match_host_or_sender