[EXIM] Control of relaying on end system

Author: Richard Gilbert
To: exim-users
Subject: [EXIM] Control of relaying on end system
This message begins the same as my previous message :-) ...

Having run Exim very successfully on our two mail hubs (with no user
mailboxes) since the summer I have just changed one of our general purpose
Unix systems to use it in place of sendmail. This is so that I can
prevent it being used as a relay. The mail hubs use

relay_domains = *.shef.ac.uk
sender_net_accept_relay = 143.167.0.0/255.255.0.0

and this works fine.

However, it would appear that I need something quite different on an end
system. What combination of relay options do I need to allow remote users
(not necessarily on our network) using a POP mailer to use the host to
relay mail to arbitrary addresses? I keep rereading the relevant section
of the manual but find it a bit confusing. It looks as though I need to
include sender_address_relay = *@hostname.shef.ac.uk -- or could this be
reduced to '*@@'? (This looks rather like a special case.)

I apologize for asking yet another question about control of relaying, but
I don't want to reject any more mail with my experiments if I can help it.

Thank you in anticipation.

Richard
--
Richard Gilbert
Corporate Information and Computing Services