Re: [EXIM] Compiling Exim 1.73 under Solaris 2.6 and GCC 2.7…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: William Craven
CC: Dave Pifke, exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] Compiling Exim 1.73 under Solaris 2.6 and GCC 2.7.2.3
On Thu, 27 Nov 1997, William Craven wrote:

> Yes we have rebuilt gcc after upgrading to Solaris 2.6 which includes
> the fix_includes script.
>
> However modifying the db.h (with reluctance) to remove the conflicting
> defines removed the problem. I'm sure there is a more elegant way....

Ah! You modified db.h. That is of course not part of Exim, but part of
DB 1.85. I have recently had a communication from the DB maintainers
which asked me to encourage Exim users to use DB 2.x rather than DB 1.x
because they are discontinuing maintenance of DB 1.x, and one of the
things they pointed out was that it didn't build under Solaris 2.6.

It would be nice if somebody would write a really simple DB-style
library in ANSI C that does just the kind of things Exim wants. I would
then consider distributing it as part of Exim, to avoid (I would hope!)
all the trouble that using other DBM libraries seems to bring. This is
probably a pie-in-the-sky wish...