Re: [EXIM] RBL

Author: Evan Leibovitch
To: Greg A. Woods
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [EXIM] RBL

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > I draw mine when people refuse to take responsibilty for their actions,
> > hiding behind forged IDs and innocent relay hosts.

> Unfortunately I don't think the RBL (or a privately maintained list like
> mine) is really going to do much good here without becoming far too
> much like Big Brother for comfort (eg. blocking relay hosts just because
> they've been attacked -- the victim will suffer twice).

...which is the point I was trying to make from the outset. RBL serves a
valuable purpose to many, but people must realize that it is no cure-all
that will single-handedly deliver society from spam.

> The only practical solution (other than going out and helping upgrade
> the probably zillions of mailers around the world that currently allow
> third-party relay by default, or waiting for most of them to get hit and
> be forced to upgrade) is to work with the access providing ISPs to
> ensure that they only permit authorized users to make SMTP connections
> outside their networks (just as corporate users normally do). I.e. all
> the el-cheap-o dial-up accounts *must* be forced to use the ISP's own
> mail relay host(s).

Agreed.

> Only after we put a stop to the illegal theft-of-service kind of spam
> will a list of black-listed spammers be of any real value to those of us
> who don't want *any* junk e-mail.

OK. But even then I suggest that such a blacklist be host-based rather
than IP-based, to consider that innocents can be sharing the same pipe as
spammers.

- Evan